Notes to readers of this Blog


NOTES TO READERS OF THIS BLOG

Thank you for dropping by to check out my blog. You will see a lot of other Blogs about birds I follow down the left hand side. I strongly encourage you to check some of these out as well, they are entertaining and I love to see birds from all over the world, I hope you do too.
Cheers,
Richard

Tuesday 14 April 2015

Peregrine fun, Buzzard flyby, Budgies and Cockatiels - great start to the day at Nyirripi

As I was driving towards the local ponds at Nyirripi, I was so busy watching the flock of budgies ahead I nearly joined the front of the work car with the front of one of the local bulls. Fortunately, the bull stayed on the side of the road.

The largish flock of Budgies was circling the ponds, growing and shrinking, about 200 in total, so not huge. The Cockatiels came not long after and they were about 30 in number. The Black-breasted Buzzard glided across the outskirts of the ponds, scattering everything in panic. Soon things settled down and the Cockatiels landed in a large leafless tree behind me. Eventually they started to squawk and headed for their usual circling, calling to one another. Sometimes I do wonder if most of them are saying "can't we just land and drink!"

After circling for quite a few minutes, they all scattered, budgies, cockatiels, crested pigeons, diamond doves and zebra finches. As I had seen the Peregrine two weeks ago with similar panic, I figured it was around. It swooped in low then up high and back down again, landing on the other side of the ponds. It took off, seemingly without any food, and headed back to its perch beyond my eyesight. All in all, a lovely start to the day. Here are some of the photos.

Peregrine Falcon



Budgerigars and Cockatiels







1 comment: