Notes to readers of this Blog


NOTES TO READERS OF THIS BLOG

Thank you for dropping by to check out my blog. You will see a lot of other Blogs about birds I follow down the left hand side. I strongly encourage you to check some of these out as well, they are entertaining and I love to see birds from all over the world, I hope you do too.
Cheers,
Richard

Sunday 18 March 2012

Native Gap Birds and Flowers

On Friday I stopped in at a way-side stop about 15 kms north of the Aileron turnoff on the Stuart Highway. I decided to sit with the camera on the table and pour a coffee and sit and listen and watch. I wasn't expecting too much to appear, but was delighted to see 2 Brown Quails walking along the fenceline on the opposite side of the wayside stop area:

I wandered off further into the scrub and came across these two delightful Splendid Fairy-wrens:




Closer to Alice Springs is Native Gap. It isn't obvious there are table and chair facilities, or a Conservation Park from the road, and with all the recent rain it is a little overgrown, but a lovely quiet area to get away from the Highway. There weren't any birds of unusual note, but there were Grey-crowned Babblers, Willie Wagtails, Grey-headed and White-plumed Honeyeaters, as well as a Nankeen Kestrel.
The rain has brought out the wildflowers, below are some photos of these:








1 comment:

  1. Fairy Wrens...........awesome birds, never seen one (obviously living in the UK) and very well captured.

    ReplyDelete