Notes to readers of this Blog


NOTES TO READERS OF THIS BLOG

Thank you for dropping by to check out my blog. You will see a lot of other Blogs about birds I follow down the left hand side. I strongly encourage you to check some of these out as well, they are entertaining and I love to see birds from all over the world, I hope you do too.
Cheers,
Richard

Monday 13 February 2012

White-breasted Woodswallows, Peaceful Dove and Rainbow Bee-eater at Lake Mary Ann

Drove from Alice Springs to Elliott (NT) today (about 740 kms) for work, and stopped off at Lake Mary Ann just outside Tennant Creek.

Some White-breasted Woodswallows were trying to keep cool in the branches, mostly showing me their rear ends, but did manage a shot or two on the front:


I only stopped for a little while and amongst the other birds I saw, were some Peaceful Doves:

and a Rainbow Bee-eater that asked if it could be called a Rainbow Dragon-fly-eater:

repositioning for consumption


The drive up from Alice Springs is interesting as the landscape slowly changes. The most obvious change is the ant hills which are a little bit bigger, although nothing like further north sizes, but definitely far more numerable than near Alice Springs.

A footnote to the white-breasted woodswallows. Right on dusk a flock of 50-70 decided to nestle in a tree in the campground I am in at Elliott. The large number must have caught the eye of a falcon, not sure if it was a nankeen kestrel or a black falcon as it was too swift and the light was fading, but it sent them every which way in a 90 second swoop fest. 

No comments:

Post a Comment