Notes to readers of this Blog


NOTES TO READERS OF THIS BLOG

Thank you for dropping by to check out my blog. You will see a lot of other Blogs about birds I follow down the left hand side. I strongly encourage you to check some of these out as well, they are entertaining and I love to see birds from all over the world, I hope you do too.
Cheers,
Richard

Friday 5 August 2011

Docker River and Yulara

Went to Docker River for work and saw very little this time apart from a few BoP on the way down there. Black Kite, Whistling Kite, Wedge-tailed Eagle, Spotted Harrier, Nankeen Kestrel, Brown Falcon and Black-shouldered Kites:

The countryside is quite stunning, and the desert oaks are both plentiful and picturesque, especially in the twilight light:
After making it past Uluru and Kata Tjuta after sunset, I proceeded down the Docker River road after dark. Along the way I saw 5 owls, but had no chance of a photo, and virtually no chance of identification as they were extremely wary of car noises/headlights and were flying off the road before the car was close to them. For a lot of the time I was down to between 40 and 60 kms/h as the threat of kangaroos, cattle and camels was present.
The drive back was even less eventful than the drive down. Yes I was a little disappointed not to get the chance to see more birds, but it was for work so just to get out into the countryside should be enough to be thankful for. The road was actually very good, I think it had been recently graded:

Looking west back towards Docker River

Looking east towards Kata Tjuta

The camel threat was even more obvious during the day, and I came across this one about an hour from Docker River:

Back onto the bitumen and starting to be late in the afternoon, about 45 minutes past Yulara, heading back to Erldunda and Alice Springs, I came across a pair of Major Mitchell Cockatoos, that kindly flew across from the left hand side to the right hand side of the road, so I could take a few shots out the driver's window:
After this delightful encounter, the rest of the trip was basically spent being wary of camels, and then after dark, kangaroos.

No comments:

Post a Comment