Notes to readers of this Blog


NOTES TO READERS OF THIS BLOG

Thank you for dropping by to check out my blog. You will see a lot of other Blogs about birds I follow down the left hand side. I strongly encourage you to check some of these out as well, they are entertaining and I love to see birds from all over the world, I hope you do too.
Cheers,
Richard

Friday 27 April 2012

Wedge-tailed Eagles in flight

Saw a pair of Wedge-tailed Eagles today near Alice Springs. I suspect I actually drove past them and didn't notice them sitting in a tree, or perhaps they were sitting on the ground. I was concentrating on some puddles ahead on the road, and then saw something out of the corner of my eye and one of them was taking off through the trees. I kept watching and they circled fairly low (for Wedgies) and continued to get closer and closer until they decided I wasn't good enough to eat, neither was the car. The photos don't do justice to just how majestic these raptors really are:








It was interesting to see which birds continued on with their business with the Wedgies around, and which ones who are normally quite vocal sat quietly under the foliage of trees. Is a Willie Wagtail scared of anything? The budgerigars and zebra finches kept fairly quiet, although I think the finches are a bit like 7-9 year old children, can't stay quiet for too long, and soon they were making quiet and short but constant "cheeps".

Also took some photos of Galahs and Cockatiels:






Happy Birding!

4 comments:

  1. Truly magnificent images of stunning birds!
    The tail is quite something, never seen an eagle like that in the Pyrenees mountains!
    You must have been thrilled to watch them a be able to take pics!
    Your Galah hen is tops!
    Congratulations Richard!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, the Wedge-tailed Eagle looks magnificent! It must be quite interesting to atch the other birds reactions to its presence. I wonder if its like watch a human when a bear is around:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Richard, I have tried to comment before, and am hopeful that this time I can. Stunning photos of the Wedgie in flight ... I'm pretty sure this is the brown male, the mate of the magnificent red female I've been sort of following since early Sept last year when I had some amazing encounters with them. Came across them again in late Feb this year and they had a gorgeous orange fledgling in tow. Wonderful stuff. Thank you. Jan

    ReplyDelete
  4. Missed this post originally but found it on your popular posts. Truly wonderful wedgie pics and don't mind the galah one bit either!

    ReplyDelete