Notes to readers of this Blog


NOTES TO READERS OF THIS BLOG

Thank you for dropping by to check out my blog. You will see a lot of other Blogs about birds I follow down the left hand side. I strongly encourage you to check some of these out as well, they are entertaining and I love to see birds from all over the world, I hope you do too.
Cheers,
Richard

Wednesday 6 April 2016

Brolgas, the dancers of the waterways

Brolgas, Australia's native Crane. Tall, sleek, graceful. And they dance!

I saw two groups of Brolgas in the past couple of days, a group of 4 at Newcastle Creek, north of Elliott in the Northern Territory, and a pair on the road to Lajamanu. The ones at Newcastle Creek were a bit further away from where I was, which may explain why they were willing to stay where they were when I appeared. Their legs are so skinny they hardly seem strong enough to hold up such a big bird, and when they land it almost seems as though they have to lean backwards to stop from toppling over. Their honking voices don't quite seem to fit such an elegant bird. Regardless of all the strange and rather unique characteristics, I love seeing them and trying to capture the graceful moments with the camera.

Brolgas
A dance at Newcastle Creek

Wandering away on the Lajamanu Road

2 comments:

  1. Excellent Richard. It's a long time since I saw a brolga.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Russell. I don't get to see them very often so always a thrill when I do, especially when they dance

      Delete