Notes to readers of this Blog


NOTES TO READERS OF THIS BLOG

Thank you for dropping by to check out my blog. You will see a lot of other Blogs about birds I follow down the left hand side. I strongly encourage you to check some of these out as well, they are entertaining and I love to see birds from all over the world, I hope you do too.
Cheers,
Richard

Wednesday 8 October 2014

Photos of the 10 Birds of Prey around Nyirripi

I am coming to the end of a 3 week stint out at Nyirripi, a remote Aboriginal Community about 450 kms WNW of Alice Springs. It is just 10 kms west of Newhaven Wilderness Reserve, and about 160 kms from Yuendumu.

Over the past 3 weeks, I have seen 10 Birds of Prey, namely:
Australian Hobby, Black Kite, Black-breasted Buzzard, Brown Falcon, Collared Sparrowhawk, Little Eagle, Peregrine Falcon, Square-tailed Kite, Wedge-tailed Eagle and Whistling Kite.

I have watched Whistling Kites copulate, Brown Falcons sit and watch over 1000 Zebra Finches drink then swoop down on the lone Diamond Dove coming for a drink, been staring down the camera barrel at a Collared Sparrowhawk rushing straight at me and nearly dropped the camera, been confused by the Square-tailed Kite (Spotted Harrier, no, Swamp Harrier, no, Little Eagle, no, Square-tailed Kite?) and been amazed at the speed of the Australian Hobby, and a little disappointed I haven't managed to see the speed of the Peregrine Falcon. All in all a wonderful bird of prey location.

Brown Falcon

Wedge-tailed Eagle

Whistling Kite

Square-tailed Kite

Black Kite

Little Eagle

Australian Hobby

Black-breasted Buzzard

 Collared Sparrowhawk

Peregrine Falcon

No comments:

Post a Comment