Notes to readers of this Blog


NOTES TO READERS OF THIS BLOG

Thank you for dropping by to check out my blog. You will see a lot of other Blogs about birds I follow down the left hand side. I strongly encourage you to check some of these out as well, they are entertaining and I love to see birds from all over the world, I hope you do too.
Cheers,
Richard

Tuesday 21 February 2012

Varied Sitella and Red-tailed Black Cockatoos at Emily Gap

I'm working in a community not far from Emily Gap and decided to have lunch there rather than the community. Of course the camera was with me, and I was very happy to see a wide range of birds, including the two mentioned in the post title.
I saw the Varied Sitella near the Alice Springs Desert Park last year, but this was my one and only viewing, so it was almost as exciting as seeing a bird for the first time when I realised what they were. They are busy birds, picking at the bark of particular trees, and with a helpful toilet block as cover there wasn't anyone in there), I was able to get quite close the first sighting and then within 10 or so metres the second time. There was a group of 6 or 7 and at least one of them was a young one, the second last photo is the young one:






While I was watching the Sitellas, a very loud ruckus was coming from the far end of the track into Emily Gap. It didn't take long for my confusion to turn into a smile as the Red-tailed Black Cockatoos were in quite a large group, probably at least 20 possibly as many as 40 as they continually moved around the tree tops. I concentrated mainly on a pair who were sitting together but you can see how many there were in some of the group shots:







3 comments:

  1. Ooooohhh!
    What a great series!
    The Sitella is precious but the Banksians are stunning!
    It looks like the female has spotted you on last 2 pics!
    I envy you so much!! :)
    Cheers, Richard

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi!
    Lovely serie with many colourfull birds.
    Greetings from Sweden
    /Ingemar

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great sitella shots - that would have been a buzz!

    ReplyDelete