Notes to readers of this Blog


NOTES TO READERS OF THIS BLOG

Thank you for dropping by to check out my blog. You will see a lot of other Blogs about birds I follow down the left hand side. I strongly encourage you to check some of these out as well, they are entertaining and I love to see birds from all over the world, I hope you do too.
Cheers,
Richard

Sunday 4 December 2011

Mistletoebird Magic at Simpsons Gap

A visit out to Simpsons Gap was made special by a Mistletoebird who sat on a branch about eye level and preened itself as I crept closer and closer, in full view, and am happy to say it was still there after I'd moved on:





I saw a few other birds while I was there, lots of the smaller varieties including Yellow-rumped Thornbills and I think the second photo is a juvenile, although they are a fair bit different so I'm not sure, but was definitely "part of the family" as it hopped and flew around two adult birds:


Also saw some Crested Pigeons, 

Rufous Whistlers 

and Western Gerygone:
All in all, a very pleasant few hours and the Mistletoebird was a dream to photograph.

1 comment:

  1. I search for Mistletoe birds wherever I go where mistletoe can be seen growing from the trees. I haven't seen any though for a few years now, so I feel your excitement at being so lucky to have an opportunity like this where one presents itself in a perfect position for a photograph! Thanks so much for sharing, it's wonderful to see the bright red plumage of the Mistletoe bird once again. (my blog: Na Nean, birding in Gippsland, VIc is at http://cindeye4daveeye.blogspot.com/)

    ReplyDelete